Thursday, May 5, 2016

MARKS

MARKS

Marks from long ago
Marks that pierce the skin
And cut the soul 

Marks that defined the sense of pain
living in the memory of it day after day
the scars might be old
but the pain is still well known
Marks on the body
Memories for the soul
Should we always do what we are told
In a pool of empathy I swim
I float on the surface
Pulling clos
e to a word
Hope that I will never sink in
Marks of lies, killed by time
but the pain remains alive


© 2009 Thomas Dooley


It has always been my dream to walk in the footsteps of AliceWalker. I wish I could just sit back, enjoy life and just write. I know not everyone's life is perfect. There might be some dreams that Alice wishes her life could be like too. The past five years I maid it my goal to write over one hundred poems a year, with the exception of this past year of 96' I have achieved that goal. When I started out 96' the concept of POET TREE came to me. At first I didn't understand it until I maid trip to Atlanta. I went down there to work the Olympic Games. I was able to stay at the dorm at SPELMEN College. It was a thrill for me to know that Alice Walker walked these same sidewalks and been inside these same buildings. As I looked the campus over, I found it The POET TREE. That visit still moves me deeply, I hope to one-day return to this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment