Wednesday, June 15, 2016

INFLUENCES



The things I have learned along the way
Does it matter who taught me these lessons
Repeating over and over in my mind every day

ABC, 123
Michael Jackson taught me
How big dreams can be

Float like a butterfly
Sting like a bee
Muhammad Ali showed me
How confident I could be

Top to bottom
Left to right
Morgan Freeman taught me
Reading is out of sight

Through life challenges
All the adversities I see
Malcolm X taught me
By any means necessary I could achieve anything

A slanted smile
A bowler hat
Sammy Davis Jr taught me
To laugh and dance

As Shug Avery sings
With an echoing song of redemption
Alice Walker taught me
The heart can have passion
And poetry is a voice for the soul

Many things I’ve learned in this life
Influences that taught me wrong from right

On this path called life

©Copyright 2016 Thomas Dooley

Words in italics noted quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment